Friday, November 21, 2008

Beans, Beans the Magical Fruit

It seems like every time I turn around recently someone is talking about black bean soup. But I have never tried it nor do I have any recipes for it. Kelly has come to the rescue with her tasty recipe.

Black Bean Soup
1/2 Onion, chopped
2 Stalks celery, chopped
1-2 Cloves garlic, minced
1 T. Chile powder
2 t. Cumin
Small bunch of cilantro, chopped
2 t. Smoked paprika (optional, but very tasty)
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cans Black beans with liquid
1 can Chicken or vegetable broth
1 can Diced green chiles (optional)

Saute 1/2 chopped onion & about 2 stalks of celery & garlic in some olive oil until soft.

Add 1 TBsp chile powder, 2 tsp. cumin & paprika, salt pepper, 2 cans black beans with liquid, 1 can diced green chile, 1 can chicken/vegetable broth & most of the cilantro, but save some for topping if you want.
Simmer covered for about 15 min. then uncovered for another 15min.

Use immersion blender to blend until desired consistency or if you have a food processor instead, take out ½ of the mixture, blend & return to pot & stir.

Suggested toppings are any or all of the following:

Onions

Cheese

Sour Cream

Cilantro

I can't wait to try this. Thanks Kelly!

1 comment:

eitheroarwhat said...

Oh yay! I hope more people can get the enjoyment out of this recipe that I have. Even my husband loves it!