Thursday, November 13, 2008

Oatmeal, it sticks to your ribs

I recently went to California to visit my baby brother and his family. While there, my sister-in-law shared this delicious oatmeal recipe with me.
Cinnamon Apple Oatmeal

1 c. Apple juice
1 c. Water
1 Medium apple, cored and chopped (I suggest a sweet variety like Red Delicious)
1 c. Old-fashioned oats, uncooked
1/4 C. Raisins
1/8 t. Cinnamon
1/8 t. Salt
Slivered almonds

In a medium saucepan, bring apple juice, water and chopped apple to boil.
Stir in oats, raisins, cinnamon and salt.
Cook uncovered over medium heat for 5-6 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
Top with a few slivered almonds.

I didn't have any almonds so I used walnuts, which worked fine. I also tossed in some brown sugar.

This tasty breakfast is sure to keep you warm on those snowy winter days. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Sue said...

I finally figured out how to get a Google account, so I'm now trying to figure out how to send you a recipe to try. Shall I just call you on the phone?...Mom

Morgan@LittleHouseofVeggies said...

Glad you liked it Mandy. I will send more recipes your way when we find a good one. :)